Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Writing, With Firm Resolve

Thing #150: The Declaration of Independance includes the phrase "manly firmness."

So was reading the Declaration of Independance today (how often do you get to say that?) which I thought I knew fairly well. It turns out there is a lot more to it than I thought. Beyond open explanations that I already knew (all the stuff about unalienable rights and the pursuit of happiness) the document actually includes a list of grievences against the King of Great Britain, including the following,

"He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.*"

Now, I would certainly not argue that the Founding Fathers were not manly or resolute, but it just wasn't the phrase I expected. I would have thought they would say something like 'opposing with great resolve' or 'opposing with resolute will.' At any rate, I'm sure the Founding Fathers knew what they were doing. Maybe manly firmness is more eloquent than I think. Or maybe they didn't want to be eloquent.

Happy Presidents Day

Kiwifruit


*-The Declaration of Independance

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you had mentioned food and Katherine you could have hit the trifecta with this post.