Thursday, January 29, 2009

The H()le Truth

Thing #148: Snow can be very deceptive.

As you may be aware, most of the United States has been coping with large amounts of snowfall, including Northern New York. You, however my not be aware that my church is nearing the end of a major building project which has spanned, depending on who you talk to, anywhere from five years to the past century. I think it is closer to the former.

So, in the interest of helping out and getting to play with neat tools, I have been going down to the church the last few Thursday nights and working on the church. Mostly I've been insulating heating ducts, which means working in a thin T-shirt when it's freezing outside and still sweating.

On a recent visit, I was headed back to my car when I noticed a van parked in the path most easily accessible. So I decide to cut across a snow covered area that looked something like the chart below.

^----------------------------------^

As you can see there were two mounds of snow with a long, flat path between them. At least that's what I saw. Removing the snow you would get the following chart.

|                                            |
|_________________________|

That's right. It was a big hole. Below the two charts are merged to give you an idea what was actually going on.

^----------------------------------^
  |_______________________|

I'm sure you have surmised what happened next

^--------             ---------------^
|______\____/____________|

Yep, that indentation is where I landed after jumping over the first mound. Talk about a rude awakening. I managed to claw my way out and go home, but there was a brief moment of panic. 

Moral: Looking before you leap is no help at all.

Kiwifruit

 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\
(===========) <------Viking Longboat :)
 ///////////

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew the church was close to the river but I did not know Vikings were in the area.

R.Clancy said...

No wonder it's been a rough winter, all that pillaging and what not. It also explains why it took so long to finish construction.

Kiwifruits of Fire said...

These were no ordinary Vikings. They were . . . Minnesota Vikings! Actually, that's less intimidating.